'Joanna Gumpelson has an excellent reputation for her work in debt restructuring, insolvency and bankruptcy proceedings. Clients highlight her "excellent skill set, knowledge and experience of the French restructuring legal framework and practice," and further commend her "highly valuable common sense and pragmatic approach to restructuring negotiations."' Chambers Europe 2022 / "Joanna Gumpelson has excellent technical knowledge and is able to explain French procedures in a way that make them easy for foreign lawyers and their clients to understand." LEGAL 500 EMEA 2020 / She is "very technical when it is needed and very commercially minded when it is necessary." CHAMBERS EUROPE 2020
Joanna Gumpelson’s main areas of expertise are insolvency proceedings and debt-restructuring.
She represents French and foreign investment funds, banks, as well as lease-finance and factoring institutions, bondholders or suppliers, etc. She also regularly represents French or foreign issuers, in particular in the context of failing LBOs.
She is also handling – jointly with partners of the litigation group headed by Paul Talbourdet – commercial, banking and finance litigation cases.
Admitted to the Paris Bar in 2002, she graduated from HEC Paris (2000) and holds an advanced degree (DESS) in Tax and Business law from the University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (2000).
She joined De Pardieu Brocas Maffei’s Restructuring & Insolvency team in 2002. She was appointed counsel in 2009, before being co-opted as Partner in 2014.
Joanna Gumpelson was elected as “Lawyer of the Year 2017” by Best Lawyers in Restructuring and Reorganization Law, “Women Leaders for France” by IFLR1000 since 2018, as well as “Juriste HEC 2014” . Joanna is also recognized by the 2016 “Who’s who Legal – Restructuring & Insolvency”. She is a member of the Society of Turnaround Professionals (Association pour le Retournement des Entreprises – ARE).
Vice Chair of the Financial Institutions Subcommittee IBA (2017-2018).
She is also co-author of several articles in her practice areas: « Du comité à la classe de créanciers : modalités de vote et de décision des créanciers seniors en France et aux Etats-Unis » Bulletin Joly Entreprises en Difficulté, July 2018; “Restructuring and insolvency handbook: France”, Practical Law Company, every year since 2005; “Claw-back of security in insolvency (France)”, IBA, Banking Law Committee project, March 2012; “Debt-equity swaps in France: recent developments“, Practical Law Multi-Jurisdictional Guide 2012/2013; “International Insolvency: France”, The European Lawyer Reference, November 2012; “Restructurations de LBO Le charme discret de la prévention”, Option Droit et Affaires, December 2011; “The European Restructuring and Insolvency Guide 2005/2006”, sponsored by PriceWaterhouse Coopers; “Multinational Enterprise Liability in Insolvency Proceedings” edited by J.W. Boone, Alston & Bird, January 2010; Regular contributions to the IBA‘s Newsletter.
- “Des entreprises soutenues mais tâtonnant sur leurs business plans“, citation of Joanna Gumpelson, Option Droit & Affaires, February 8 2021
- « Joanna Gumpelson, la bienveillante » portrait of Joanna Gumpelson by Ondine Delaunay, LJA Magazine, October 2020
- « Du comité à la classe de créanciers : modalités de vote et de décision des créanciers seniors en France et aux Etats-Unis » Bulletin Joly Entreprises en Difficulté, July 2018
- « Le restructuring : un domaine du droit en perpétuelle mutation » interview of Joanna Gumpelson and Philippe Dubois, Revue Polytechnique La Jaune et la Rouge, October 2016
- « Prepack cession à la française : ne pas confondre vitesse et précipitation » by Joanna Gumpelson and Philippe Dubois, Capital Finance, january 25 2016.
- “Group insolvency, consolidation of debt and director’s duties and liabilities in France”, Practical Law, 2015/2016
- “Debt Restructuring: an alternative to insolvency proceedings” The European Lawyer Reference, Decembre 2014
- “Debt-equity swaps in France: recent developments“, Practical Law Multi-Jurisdictional Guide 2012/2013
- “International Insolvency: France”, The European Lawyer Reference, November 2012
- “Claw-back of security in insolvency (France)”, IBA, Banking Law Committee project, March 2012
- “Restructurations de LBO Le charme discret de la prévention”, Option Droit et Affaires, December 2011
- “Multinational Enterprise Liability in Insolvency Proceedings” published par J.W. Boone, Alston & Bird, January 2010
- “The European Restructuring and Insolvency Guide 2005/2006” in partnership with PriceWaterhouse Coopers
- “Restructuring and insolvency handbook: France”, Practical Law Company, since 2005
- Regular contributions to the IBA Newsletter